Are Stocks Taxed?

Scam Risk is here to help you protect yourself and fight back
By: Scam Risk - Expert Reviewer

Are Stocks Taxed?

Do you play in the stocks? Or are you new to the game? Whether you don’t mind the whirling volatility of a bear and bull run or you just want to give stock investment a shot, it’s crucial to have a grasp of the taxability of your stock transactions.

Yes, having stock investments is one of the great ways of earning money and financial security. But yes, it does come with taxes. Basically, any revenue you get from a stock sale is taxed at zero percent, fifteen percent, or twenty percent. Likewise, any profits you get from stock are also taxed. More on this later. Needles to say, it’s always advisable to talk to a qualified tax professional before deciding on something huge. However, here’s a brief overview of the taxability of your securities transactions. Read on.

Check Out This Simple Way To Run A Digital Real Estate Empire Online
With no:
This is so simple, it should be illegal.

Table of Contents

Taxes on Divvies.

As mentioned earlier, dividends are income that is usually taxed. There are two kinds of dividends for tax purposes: qualified and non-qualified. Also as mentioned above, the tax rate on qualified revenues is either zero percent, fifteen percent, or twenty percent, which is contingent on your taxable income. The rate is usually higher for non-qualified dividends. Incidentally, non-qualified dividends are also called ordinary dividends and the tax rate of ordinary dividends is the same as your regular income tax frame.

People in higher tax frames or tax brackets pay higher taxes on dividends — on both qualified and non-qualified dividends. Your tax bill on dividends can be drastically altered depending on how and when you own an investment with dividends.

Capital Gains.

Whatever revenue you get from a stock sale that you have held for one whole year is taxed as long-term capital gains. This is the lower rate put in your separate taxable income. If you are in a twenty-five percent or higher tax bracket, the tax rate is fifteen percent. If you are in the fifteen percent or lower tax bracket, your rate is only fifteen percent. Profits or revenues from stocks that you have held for less than twelve months are taxed at your ordinary-income rate.

Any profit you enjoy from the sale of a stock held for at least a full year is taxed at the long-term capital gains rate, which is lower than the rate applied to your other taxable income. It’s 15% if you are in a 25% or higher tax bracket and only 5% if you are in the 15% or lower tax bracket. Profits from stocks held for less than a year are taxed at your ordinary-income tax rate.

If your stock shares are held in a regular brokerage account, you need to pay capital gains taxes when you sell its shares for profits. The long-term capital gains tax is the tax on profits from sales of assets, which was held for one year or longer. Long-term capital gains taxes are typically lesser in rate compared to short-term capital gains. This means you pay lower taxes on stocks for long-term capital gains. Another type of capital gains tax is the short-term capital gains tax. This is the tax on profits from asset sales, which was held for less than a year or one year. The rates for short-term capital gains taxes are the same as your tax frame or bracket. Therefore it’s necessary to know which tax bracket you belong to.

The Wash Rule.

A lot of stock investors make the most from stock sales in a position of loss to cancel out or offset a profit and then they turn about and purchase the stock right back. The IRS has set prohibitions on selling a stock and buying it back within a month. That rule is called the wash rule. This rule will not allow investors to claim a loss on a stock sale if you purchase a stock replacement within a month before or after the stock sale.

The Use of Capital Losses to Offset Profits.

If you subtract your capital losses from your capital gains, the amount is called “net capital gain.” Now if your losses are more than your gains or profits, you can subtract or take off the difference on your tax return. If you’re married and you file your taxes separately — you can take off the difference on your tax return up to $1,500 USD, otherwise you can take away up to $3,000 USD on your tax return.

Money in 401K and others.

Considering that your money in your 401K stays in your account, you don’t have to pay taxes on its growth, interest, dividends or profits, or gains in investments. You may also change your traditional IRA into a Roth IRA in order to have withdrawals in retirement are free from tax. However, you need to remember that only post-tax money can be moved into Roth IRAs. In general, Roth works best for people who belong to a high tax bracket in retirement.

Additional Resources:

Share This Article:

We will be happy to hear your thoughts

Leave a reply

ScamRisk's #1 Online
Business Recommendation:
You know deep down what you're meant for. Now they will show you how to go get it.

All site content, links and resources are presented solely for informational purposes only and should not be considered as medical, legal, financial or tax advice. is free to use because we may earn a commission when you use a service listed on our site, however our editorial treatment of reviews, ratings and listings is equally impartial whether a link is paid or unpaid. Opinions expressed in reviews, commentary and articles are those of the author and are not necessarily shared by Scam Risk. Screenshots, logos, company names & styles are IP, copyright and trademarks of their respective owners, used on this site for their promotion or editorial illustration.

Continued use of is contingent on acceptance of Scam Risk's legal policies

Scam Risk

Be first in line to read all the new Scam Risk Reports as they're published!

Select the categories that interest you the most

We don't share your information with any 3rd parties and we will never spam you.